Skip to main content

Walking with God

"Enosh was 90 years old when he fathered Kenan. Enosh lived 815 years after the birth of Kenan, and he fathered other sons and daughters. So Enosh's life lasted 905 years; then he died.  Kenan was 70 years old when he fathered Mahalalel. Kenan lived 840 years after the birth of Mahalalel, and he fathered other sons and daughters. So Kenan's life lasted 910 years; then he died.  Mahalalel was 65 years old when he fathered Jared. Mahalalel lived 830 years after the birth of Jared, and he fathered other sons and daughters. So Mahalalel's life lasted 895 years; then he died.  Jared was 162 years old when he fathered Enoch. Jared lived 800 years after the birth of Enoch, and he fathered other sons and daughters. So Jared's life lasted 962 years; then he died.  Enoch was 65 years old when he fathered Methuselah. And after the birth of Methuselah, Enoch walked with God 300 years and fathered other sons and daughters. So Enoch's life lasted 365 years. Enoch walked with God; then he was not there because God took him." [Gen 5:9-24 HCSB]

Observations:

  • Who did what?
    • These men regularly had children after the age of 60!
    • These men regularly lived over 800 years old! 
    • Most of these men died! 
    • After the birth of Methuselah, Enoch walked with God 300 years! 
    • God took Enoch from the earth (Enoch did not die!). 
  • What was the long term impact of some of the choices that were made? 
    • I believe the story of Enoch planted the hope of resurrection in human hearts from the very beginning of human history. 
    • These men populated the earth! 
Applications:
  • Today, do people have children at this age or live this long? No. Pretty much not. To the point that many people probably don't even believe this part of the Bible is true. *sigh* I think we'll discover the reason why soon in the book of Genesis... 
  • I have to wonder if Enoch was walking with God before the birth of Methusaleh, because today, is it ever true that the birth of children inspires us to walk with God? I would say that in my own life, even though I did have a relationship with God before my daughter was born, my daughter's birth inspired deeper levels of intimacy and connection with God, if only in the sense that I could now relate to God as a parent, if not in many more ways that are personal and unique to my daughter's life story and the way that it has impacted me. I also know of many other people who, for them, having a child was a catalyst event to simply becoming a more responsible human being. So... I think there might be something there? 
  • Today, do people walk with God for 300 years? Honestly, this one is hard for me to fathom. I teach U.S. history, and I am very well aware that our nation hasn't even existed for 300 years. So, Enoch walked with God for longer than our nation has existed. Talk about a mature Christian! I would imagine that it's hard to do any one thing for 300 years, especially walking with God in a world that is becoming more and more ungodly. That takes some character! I think there is a deep part of every human being that yearns to have Enoch's story: I walked with God faithfully, so God granted me immortality. I think that even an Atheist would agree that if they could believe that God was real, this would be the ultimate destiny. I pray that God may grant me the faithfulness of Enoch, so that if I were to live 300 years, I would walk with Him the entire time! 
Thoughts, Observations, other Applications? 

Truly Yours, 
Jordan 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God Plants a Garden and Forms Humans

[Gen 2:4-14 HCSB] "These are the records of the heavens and the earth, concerning their creation at the time that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens. No shrub of the field had yet grown on the land, and no plant of the field had yet sprouted, for the LORD God had not made it rain on the land, and there was no man to work the ground. But water would come out of the ground and water the entire surface of the land. Then the LORD God formed the man out of the dust from the ground and breathed the breath of life into his nostrils, and the man became a living being.  The LORD God planted a garden in Eden, in the east, and there He placed the man He had formed. The LORD God caused to grow out of the ground every tree pleasing in appearance and good for food, including the tree of life in the middle of the garden, as well as the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.  A river went out from Eden to water the garden. From there it divided and became the source of four rivers. The

Pursued by God.

"Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the LORD God walking in the garden at the time of the evening breeze, and they hid themselves from the LORD God among the trees of the garden. So the LORD God called out to the man and said to him, "Where are you? "  And he said, "I heard You in the garden and I was afraid because I was naked, so I hid."  Then He asked, "Who told you that you were naked? Did you eat from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from? "  Then the man replied, "The woman You gave to be with me -- she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate."  So the LORD God asked the woman, "What is this you have done? " And the woman said, "It was the serpent. He deceived me, and I ate."  Then the LORD God said to the serpent: Because you have done this, you are cursed more than any livestock and more than any wild animal. You will move on your belly and eat dust all the days of your life.  I will put host

Genesis 1:1

"In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth..." Genesis 1:1 Observations about this Passage: Who did what in this passage? God created the heavens God created the earth. Who said what in this passage? The narrator said that there was a beginning and that there was a creator God. What choices were made in this passage? God chose to create the heavens. God chose to create the earth  What other choices could have been made? God might have chosen not to create the heavens God might have chosen not to create the earth God might have chosen to create a third place or a fourth place or a fifth place as well.  What are some of the short term results of the choices that they made? God is pleased (see following verses)  What are some of the long term effects of the choices that were made?  The existence of the heavens and the earth All of human history. What do the actions of the people in this passage show me about their value system and/ o