Skip to main content

God is patient!

"When the LORD saw that man's wickedness was widespread on the earth and that every scheme his mind thought of was nothing but evil all the time, the LORD [consoled Himself for having made] man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. Then the LORD said, "I will wipe off from the face of the earth mankind, whom I created, together with the animals, creatures that crawl, and birds of the sky -- for I [console myself for the wicked that has come from having] made them."  [Gen 6:5-7 HCSB]

*Most translations say that the LORD was sorry He had ever made humans (or regretted it), but the English translation is clunky. I looked up the original Hebrew word and it most often means "to console oneself." I chose to input this translation because it seems more in line with God's character (from my understanding).

Observations:
  • Who did what? 
    • Humans had thoughts that were nothing but evil all the time. 
    • The Lord saw man's wickedness. 
    • The Lord consoled Himself over man's wickedness. 
    • God grieved over man's wickedness. 
    • God decided to destroy his own creation. 
  • What choices could have been made? 
    • Humans could have chosen to repent for their evil. Humans could have chosen to change. 
    • God could have chosen to turn in ignorance, not to care about man's wickedness. 
    • God could have chosen not to do anything about the wickedness. 
    • God could have chosen to do something about the wickedness earlier. 
Applications:
  • Today, do we see any of these same things happening in our world? 
    • Today, I don't feel that we're at this level yet. I still see many people who seem to have good intentions and who struggle against the inclination of our hearts towards evil. 
    • Today, I think God's view of humanity is different. I think we are seen through the lens of Jesus' blood and the hope that it provides for our salvation. I think God's grief was complete on the cross. 
  • Today, do people make similar choices? 
    • Today, I think it is still hard for people who are wrapped up in ideologies and lifestyles of sin to see out of the justifications and out of the lifestyle and know that they have the choice to change. I know that for me, often times it takes a loving and truthful voice for me to see areas of sin in my life and to be able to repent of them.
    • Today, God still chooses to wait until our sin has reached it's max. He is not eager to jump in and intervene with justice or harsh punishments. He is patient, even when our sin has caused Him grief and pain.
So thankful that God is so patient and that He sends voices of love and truth into our lives to help us repent and change of our sinful ways! I am so thankful that He cares and doesn't ignore us, even when we are at our worst!
 
Observations, Applications, Thoughts? 
-Jordan 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God Plants a Garden and Forms Humans

[Gen 2:4-14 HCSB] "These are the records of the heavens and the earth, concerning their creation at the time that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens. No shrub of the field had yet grown on the land, and no plant of the field had yet sprouted, for the LORD God had not made it rain on the land, and there was no man to work the ground. But water would come out of the ground and water the entire surface of the land. Then the LORD God formed the man out of the dust from the ground and breathed the breath of life into his nostrils, and the man became a living being.  The LORD God planted a garden in Eden, in the east, and there He placed the man He had formed. The LORD God caused to grow out of the ground every tree pleasing in appearance and good for food, including the tree of life in the middle of the garden, as well as the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.  A river went out from Eden to water the garden. From there it divided and became the source of four rivers. The

Genesis 1:1

"In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth..." Genesis 1:1 Observations about this Passage: Who did what in this passage? God created the heavens God created the earth. Who said what in this passage? The narrator said that there was a beginning and that there was a creator God. What choices were made in this passage? God chose to create the heavens. God chose to create the earth  What other choices could have been made? God might have chosen not to create the heavens God might have chosen not to create the earth God might have chosen to create a third place or a fourth place or a fifth place as well.  What are some of the short term results of the choices that they made? God is pleased (see following verses)  What are some of the long term effects of the choices that were made?  The existence of the heavens and the earth All of human history. What do the actions of the people in this passage show me about their value system and/ o

Pursued by God.

"Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the LORD God walking in the garden at the time of the evening breeze, and they hid themselves from the LORD God among the trees of the garden. So the LORD God called out to the man and said to him, "Where are you? "  And he said, "I heard You in the garden and I was afraid because I was naked, so I hid."  Then He asked, "Who told you that you were naked? Did you eat from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from? "  Then the man replied, "The woman You gave to be with me -- she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate."  So the LORD God asked the woman, "What is this you have done? " And the woman said, "It was the serpent. He deceived me, and I ate."  Then the LORD God said to the serpent: Because you have done this, you are cursed more than any livestock and more than any wild animal. You will move on your belly and eat dust all the days of your life.  I will put host