Skip to main content

Identifying Ourselves with Scripture Instead of Lies

Peter stood up with the Eleven, raised his voice, and proclaimed to them: "Fellow Jews and all you residents of Jerusalem, let me explain this to you and pay attention to my words. For these people are not drunk, as you suppose, since it's only nine in the morning. On the contrary, this is what was spoken through the prophet Joel: "And it will be in the last days, says God, that I will pour out my Spirit on all people; then your sons and your daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, and your old men will dream dreams. I will even pour out my Spirit on my servants in those days, both men and women and they will prophesy. I will display wonders in the heaven above and signs on the earth below: blood and fire and a cloud of smoke.  The sun will be turned to darkness and the moon to blood before the great and glorious day of the Lord comes. Then everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.""[Act 2:14-21 CSB]

Observations:
  • Who said what? 
    • Peter said, "Fellow Jews and all you residents of Jerusalem, let me explain this to you and pay attention to my words. For these people are not drunk, as you suppose, since it's only nine in the morning. On the contrary, this is what was spoken through the prophet Joel: 'And it will be in the last days, says God, that I will pour out my Spirit on all people; then your sons and your daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, and your old men will dream dreams. I will even pour out my Spirit on my servants in those days, both men and women and they will prophesy. I will display wonders in the heaven above and signs on the earth below: blood and fire and a cloud of smoke. "The sun will be turned to darkness and the moon to blood before the great and glorious day of the Lord comes. Then everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."
    • God says, "And it will be in the last days that I will pour out my Spirit on all people; then your sons and your daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, and your old men will dream dreams. I will even pour out my Spirit on my servants in those days, both men and women will prophesy. I will display wonders in the heaven above and signs on the earth below: blood and fire and a cloud of smoke. The sun will be turned to darkness and the moon to blood before the great and glorious day of the Lord comes. Then everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." 
  • What other choices could have been made? 
    • Peter and company could have listened to their critics instead of relying on scripture.
    • Peter could have used scripture and the words of Jesus to point out the self-righteousness and the hypocrisy of their critics. Instead, he used it to identify who he was and what he and the other disciples were doing. 
    • God could have chosen to hide what He was doing in the last days. 
    • God could have chosen to be more specific about how long the "last days" would last. 
    • God could have chosen to give up on the world in the "last days" and keep His Spirit from being poured out. 
    • God chose to make salvation as simple as calling on the name of the Lord. He could have made it much more complicated. 
Applications:
Today, is it ever tempting to listen to lies about who we are and what we were doing instead of listening to scripture? EVERY SINGLE DAY I STRUGGLE WITH THIS! The enemy may not accuse me of being drunk, but he sure accuses me of a lot of other things in my thoughts (and to be honest, a lot of times I agree with him). It has taken the Holy Spirit my life-time to combat lies such as: 
  • "I'm not good enough" 
  • "I don't love God the way that I should." 
  • "Other people deserve God's blessings more than I do."
  • "My life was not in God's perfect plan for the world."
  • "If I'm not as perfect as Jesus was in my choices, I am missing out on God's best for me."
With truths from scripture such as: 
  • "I have redeemed you. I have called you by name. You are mine. You are the Bride of Christ, that is more than 'good enough,' for He has made you holy, cleansing you through the washing of the water of the word... to present you to Himself without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but holy and blameless" (Isaiah 43:1 and Ephesians 5:25-27)
  • Through the blood of Jesus, I am capable of "loving the Lord my God with all my heart, all my soul, all my mind, and all my strength." (Mark 12:30)
  • "There is no one who is righteous, not even one. [...] but righteousness with God is through faith in Jesus Christ to ALL who believe, there is no distinction." [emphasis my own] (Romans 3:10 and 22)
  • "God knit me together in my mother's womb." (Psalm 139:13) 
  • "My grace is sufficient for you. My power is made perfect in your weaknesses." (2 Corinthians 12:9)
In truth, I am so thankful for Peter's example of someone who could find his identity in scripture and prophecy, even in the midst of critics, because their are many times when the critical voices/thoughts feel louder than God's truth in my own mind! 

Any other observations, applications, or thoughts? Feel free to share!
-Jordan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God Plants a Garden and Forms Humans

[Gen 2:4-14 HCSB] "These are the records of the heavens and the earth, concerning their creation at the time that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens. No shrub of the field had yet grown on the land, and no plant of the field had yet sprouted, for the LORD God had not made it rain on the land, and there was no man to work the ground. But water would come out of the ground and water the entire surface of the land. Then the LORD God formed the man out of the dust from the ground and breathed the breath of life into his nostrils, and the man became a living being.  The LORD God planted a garden in Eden, in the east, and there He placed the man He had formed. The LORD God caused to grow out of the ground every tree pleasing in appearance and good for food, including the tree of life in the middle of the garden, as well as the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.  A river went out from Eden to water the garden. From there it divided and became the source of four rivers. The

Genesis 1:1

"In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth..." Genesis 1:1 Observations about this Passage: Who did what in this passage? God created the heavens God created the earth. Who said what in this passage? The narrator said that there was a beginning and that there was a creator God. What choices were made in this passage? God chose to create the heavens. God chose to create the earth  What other choices could have been made? God might have chosen not to create the heavens God might have chosen not to create the earth God might have chosen to create a third place or a fourth place or a fifth place as well.  What are some of the short term results of the choices that they made? God is pleased (see following verses)  What are some of the long term effects of the choices that were made?  The existence of the heavens and the earth All of human history. What do the actions of the people in this passage show me about their value system and/ o

Pursued by God.

"Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the LORD God walking in the garden at the time of the evening breeze, and they hid themselves from the LORD God among the trees of the garden. So the LORD God called out to the man and said to him, "Where are you? "  And he said, "I heard You in the garden and I was afraid because I was naked, so I hid."  Then He asked, "Who told you that you were naked? Did you eat from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from? "  Then the man replied, "The woman You gave to be with me -- she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate."  So the LORD God asked the woman, "What is this you have done? " And the woman said, "It was the serpent. He deceived me, and I ate."  Then the LORD God said to the serpent: Because you have done this, you are cursed more than any livestock and more than any wild animal. You will move on your belly and eat dust all the days of your life.  I will put host